People, Participation and Power
Bringing our journey towards change in the extractive sector to life
A picture is worth a thousand words. Photographs can tell powerful stories and inspire meaningful change.
Publish What You Pay is happy to announce the return of the photo competition. As PWYP members, you are making a significant change all around the world. We want to showcase the vital work you do by bringing your journey towards change in the extractive sector to life visually. We invite you to share photos on the issues and challenges that you and other citizens face in your countries and/or the achievements that you’ve made in your work to improve transparency in the extractive industries. We are looking for photographs that focus on citizen participation, civic space and people’s right to be involved in natural resource governance, as well as images that convey the important job PWYP members do in gathering and analysing information about the extractives industry.
So as you attend meetings, do community mobilisations, visit mines, jump on oil rigs, circle the globe, take your camera with you and show us your world and what the impact of extractive activities look like for you.
Rules and Eligibility Criteria
This photo exhibition submission is open to individuals or organisations that are members of Publish What You Pay.
- The individual or organisation submitting the photo(s) must own the rights to use, display, distribute and repurpose the photo(s) / image(s).
- The individual or organisation submitting the photo(s) must confirm that it was/they were taken with the consent of the subject and do not infringe their rights, including privacy rights, intellectual property rights, including copyright or any other rights of any person. If you are photographing children, please read and sign the child protection policy.
- You can submit up to three photos.
- Photos must be submitted between 14 November through 7 January 2019 via firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also send to this email address via a WeTransfer link.
- The photo(s) must be based on your work, experiences and challenges that you and/or other citizens face in your countries and/or the achievements that you and/or others have made to improve transparency in the extractive industries
- Photos/ images must be submitted with the following: a caption of maximum 30 words, the name of the member/coalition involved, the country where it was taken and the date, the name of the person who took the photo and hers/his contact details, completed and signed consent form
- Please shoot in the highest resolution that you can. The photo(s) can be in .jpg, .gif, or .png file formats.
The top 10 photos and overall top photo will be selected by the PWYP secretariat communications team.
- The most popular photo, selected by the PWYP Secretariat communications team, will receive a Digital camera
- The top 10 photos will be featured in a photo exhibition at the PWYP Global Assembly in January 2019 and on Publish What You Pay’s website, in the PWYP newsletter, social media, and other communication materials.
By submitting a photo to this competition individuals or organisations grant Publish What You Pay all the rights to display and make use of all photo(s) submitted to Publish What You Pay as many times necessary and under its own discretion; Publish What You Pay will provide credit to the participant when the photo is used.
The photo competition is open from 19 November through 7 January 2019.
How to submit your photo
- Email your photo(s), maximum of three per participant, with a short caption in a separate word document to email@example.com or use WeTransfer. Let Alexandra Malmqvist (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you have any issues submitting photos.
- Include the name of the coalition or member that is linked to the work represented in the photo(s)
- Include a contact name and email address